background

Friday, January 7, 2011

Oops I Dropped My Crackers

Why Oops I Dropped My Crackers for a blog title? Well, "Because I'm the mom and I said so" was taken, along with "Mother's Little Helper" and so on. In the midst of my research for the perfect blog title, like a lightning bolt, my memory flashed to August of 94.

I was only 11, but it was a pretty tough time. My mom was in the hospital in ICU and had been there for about two weeks by now. One morning she woke up and told me she didn't feel good and we needed to go to the DR. She drove the block away to the hospital, parked under the awning by the ER, walked two steps into the door, and passed out. She didn't wake up for 30 days, when they released her out of ICU - but that's another story.

So I spent most of my day in the ICU waiting room playing cards by myself. My Grandmother, Mother (an impeccable woman who wears hose with everything and gets dressed to the nines everyday. She's 84), came up there from Dimmitt and we went to eat lunch in the hospital cafeteria. I was crumbling up my crackers in my hand and dumping them in my soup when she very politely (as she always does, I've never heard that woman raise her voice in all of my 28 years) told me "No No No, Hannah. That is simply not the way to do it. Very bad manners". So then I asked her how the heck am I supposed to get my crackers crumbled in my soup because that's the only way I like soup. She replied "Oh, well there's a secret for that. I like crackers crumbled in my soup too, so... what you have to do is crush the crackers in the package - not your hand - then open the package, pour the crushed crackers in your soup and exclaim 'Oops I dropped my crackers!"

1 comment: